Sunday 17 November 2013

Conventions of an Opening Sequence

Now that I have received the brief for my final task I think that it is important that I am able analyse it in order know what I need to do. Part of this analyses is to be able to identify the conventions of an opening sequence.
From watching opening sequences in class I have found that they often include the titles of the actors involved, the director, the media institution and producer as well as the name of the film. These titles are usually subtle and can be incorporated in to the action of the scene, however sometimes the titles can be shown in a very obvious way. Depending on the film some opening sequences are more cinematic than others.
Other things I noticed from watching various opening sequences is that they often contain small hints and metaphors of what the film is going to contain. I like the idea of putting hints in to my opening sequences but it is important that I do not give too much away as the opening to a film is ideally meant to draw you in and leave you wanting more. Some opening sequences also include the films soundtrack or some form of music.
Here are two film openings I have previously looked at.

These openings are very different but both of the start with the institutions name, the title of the film appears at the start of 'the devil wears prada' and at the the end of 'children of men' which leaves you with a different feeling when entering the film.

Now that I have identified the basic conventions of an opening sequence my group and I will need to decide what genre we want our opening sequence to be and then identify the conventions of that particular genre.




No comments:

Post a Comment